Thursday, September 13, 2018

Meet the Survivors from The Male Breast Cancer Coalition


Meet some of the many remarkable men who have overcome the battle against Male Breast Cancer.  Read their stories and get inspired by their strengths and the will to rise above this debilitating disease.  Thanks to the loving support from the Male Breast Cancer Coalition, awareness and resources are made available for men and their families worldwide.


BRET MILLER
My breast cancer was 88% estrogen based and I was prescribed Tamoxifen. The side effects were awful, I didn’t realize it at first but I was moody, having hot flashes and was not pleasant to be around. After six weeks, I was taken off the Tamoxifen.  Right now, I’m taking Anastrozole daily. My mission now is to spread the word to everyone, men & women, young & old, that breast cancer does not discriminate, it can happen to anyone at any age and to MEN too!  On May 19, 2010, I started The Bret Miller 1T Foundation with the help of my parents Peggy & Bob Miller. Only 1 T in my name and now 1 Tit and 1 Nip for those keeping track (have to have some humor every now n’ then). The goal of the foundation is to raise awareness in colleges and high schools telling our youth that breast cancer can happen to anyone!  Male breast cancer survivors share their journeys and let students know they are their own best advocates for their bodies.  We tell people if they find something that doesn’t feel right they must talk with a doctor, don’t ignore anything. If you don’t like the answer given to you, get a second, third or fourth opinion. Don’t rest until you get the answers you want. Early detection is the first step in the fight against breast cancer!  (See Bret Miller's complete article)


JOHN MORMONDO
Up to that point, I was a healthy 51-year-old. I’m not exaggerating when I say I was probably in the best shape of my life. I had just competed in an Ironman 70.3 Triathlon in September 2017 and ran the NYC marathon in November 2017. I was in the very beginning of starting to train for a Full 140.6 Ironman in Louisville when I spotted a small lump on my chest.  I immediately brought it to the attention of my doctor who sent me for a biopsy on March 19th. Four days later I got my diagnosis. After interviewing three different cancer surgeons, I went with NYU Langone Cancer Center in NYC.  On April 17th I had a right-side mastectomy with a lymph node dissection. On my left side I got a breast reduction to even my body out. It just so happened that after pathology they found a small cancerous tumor there too. A 51-year-old male in great shape with bilateral breast cancer. I was shocked to say the least.
(See John Mormondo's complete article)


N'KOSI CAMPBELL
When I was in the military and growing up playing sports I was always told to “suck it up, pain is just weakness leaving your body.” So that’s exactly what I did. I ignored it for months and months. It wasn’t until a friend of mine could tell I was in physical pain that I
finally went to get it checked out. Even then she pretty much had to force me to go.  When I did finally get to the doctor it got really weird really quick. After all the basic questions, the doctor started to examine my chest, or should I say “breast” which again is weird to me, because I never had a breast exam. The doctor had some concerns, so he referred me to another clinic for a later date. When I did get to the referred office imagine my surprise when I discovered it was a breast examination facility.  I walked into the office, went up to the receptionist and quietly told her, “I’m here for my appointment.” She gave me a look as if to say “yeah right I think you’re in the wrong office.” When she called my name, sure enough I was in the right place. This is when all the fun stuff started. They started to give me tests that completely caught me off guard, primarily because all the tests were associated with women (IE breast exam, mammogram, and breast biopsy). Then after several days of tests I was told I had Breast Cancer!  (See N’Kosi Campbell's complete article)

................................................................................................................................................................



MEN HAVE BREASTS TOO

A Series about Breast Cancer in Men

MEN HAVE BREASTS TOO is an ongoing video series about breast cancer in men. Produced by The Male Breast Cancer Coalition, the MEN HAVE BREASTS TOO series includes short documentaries with men who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, the latest news and information about male breast cancer from medical experts, stories from family members of survivors and men lost to the disease, the impact genetic mutations have on men and their families and much more.

On behalf of Awareness for a Cure and the cancer fundraising community, we give special thanks to Cheri Ambrose and Peggy Miller of the Male Breast Cancer Coalition- whose support and hard work continues to spark the lifeline and public presence of such a vital organization for men's health and cancer survivorship.  

...................................................................................................................................................................

SPONSORS: