Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A MESSAGE FOR ALL BUSY MOMS ABOUT EARLY DETECTION


Kristie Moore (2nd from Left) at the October LI2DAY 5k Race-
Organizer of major charity cancer events on Long Island.
Everything I’ve learned over the last decade working with a local grassroots cancer organization is that EARLY DETECTION is key.  Scheduling routine appointments and screening is imperative to your health.  Sounds good right?  I am a busy mom of two very active boys who play multiple travel sports year-round.  Like many, I juggle, work, the kids’ demanding schedules and make sure they have annual physicals, eye exams, teeth cleaning and routine bloodwork.  I was trying to make a conscious effort to do the same for myself.  

But somehow, I managed to forget my 2016 mammogram! 

I scheduled my 2017 mammogram and sonogram in October because it was Breast Cancer Awareness month after all! After my mammography was finished I had to wait for my sonogram to check the dense breast tissue.  The technician came into the waiting area and said they needed to get more scans because the radiologist saw something.  I had the sonogram and then the radiologist came in and told me I had to come back in 6 months.  

I missed a year folks and in that time, there were changes in my breast health. 

Please, be diligent, be your own health advocate and schedule those appointments.
So, now I am anxiously awaiting my follow-up mammogram in April.  Don’t put off your own health.  My New Years’ resolution is to do a better job of taking care of myself.  When the kids went back to school in September I scheduled all my appointments on one day. Any tests that were required by my doctors were all set up on another day.  Whether you schedule your appointments when the kids go back to school or around the time of your birthday…just get into a routine of when you go so you don’t forget. 

Take it from a busy mom.  You need to stay healthy.  You need to listen to your body.  You need to schedule those appointments and go to them.  Early detection is key.

..............................................................................................

OFFICIAL REPORT:






BREAST SELF AWARENESS
Being familiar with how your breasts look and feel can help you notice symptoms such as lumps, pain, or changes in size that may be of concern. These could include changes found during a breast self-exam. You should report any changes that you notice to your doctor or health care provider. Having a clinical breast exam or doing a breast self-exam has not been found to lower the risk of dying from breast cancer. See complete report from the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

.................................................................................................................................................................

KRISTIE MOORE is the Executive Director of Marketing/Public Relations and Event Co-Producer for LI2DAY-- a busy Long Island-based grassroots cancer fundraising organization.  For over 14 years, she has maintained a most rewarding and exciting career in organizing, producing and promoting charity events to raise $$ for cancer patients and cancer research all over the Island.  (See complete LI2DAY website).  Mrs. Moore is highly respected and recognized in the local non-profit circles as a "marketing powerhouse" for her unending talents and her passion in "magically making it all come together."  Kristie Moore lives in Ronkonkoma, NY with her wonderful husband and two sons.



DISCLAIMER:
The information provided in this article is written  and submitted by the writer whose name is stated in the title who provided express consent to the publishing of this material.  This article is not meant to be used to diagnose, treat or advise others about what actions they should take with regard to any medical condition.  No one should undertake or discontinue any treatment as a result of what they read on our blogs. The publisher(s), editors, sponsors or other  "supporting members" of AwarenessforaCure.org are providing a strictly educational service and are not responsible for the diagnosis or treatment of any specific health needs. and are not liable for any damages or negative consequences from any treatment, action, application or preparation to any person(s) reading the information in this article or its thread. Readers with medical needs should obtain appropriate professional medical supervision. References are provided for any informational purposes only and do not constitute endorsement of any websites or other sources.